Myths and Facts

Myth: All headaches are migraines

Fact: Headache is a broad term to describe all types of headaches a person experience. Therefore, all headaches are not migraines. There are different types of headaches – such as sinus headache, cluster headache, tension headache, pressure headache and migraine headache. In other words, migraine is a type of headache. It is different from other types of headaches in terms of the unique symptoms – especially aura associated with it, the nature, duration, severity and progression of the condition and also the stages involved in its progression.

Myth: Brain games improve your memory and reasoning skills.

Fact: This is merely a theory. And therefore, to investigate this theory BBC conducted a study on a group of people between 18 to 65 years of age. The people were requested to play online brain games. Approximately 9000 people participated in the games. The participants were asked to play online games for 10 minutes a day, three to four times a week. After completion of the study the subjects were tested for improvement in cognitive functions. The participants didn’t demonstrate any improved cognitive functions in the tasks which they didn’t practice in the online games.

Myth: Your brain works better under pressure.

Fact: Many people believe that our brain function better under stress. This has become a buzz word in the corporate fraternity. Certain corporate entities conduct pressure interviews for the selection of manpower. These strategies don’t work at all. People get motivated to work when they feel relaxed and set a deadline. The pressure of a deadline makes them work harder, but it doesn’t result in improved brain function and performance. Excessive stress, work pressure and tight deadlines are bound to impair brain function.

Myth: We use only 10% of our brain

Fact: There is a very common myth – which is quite widespread throughout the world that we use only 10% of brain. The idea that we don’t use the rest 90% of the brain is just a fallacious myth. However, all brain scanning and other studies have proved that all the areas of the brain are active. Many people encourage us to use their brain performance augmenting methods and services that help in tapping the rest of our brain into a highly functional one. Such claims don’t really do anything except misleading.

Myth: Some people Use Left brain (logical) and some us right brain (creative)

Fact: There is no such thing like logical or creative brain. There is a common myth that those who use their left brain (left-brained) are logical and those who use their right brain (right brained) are creative. The way a person thinks is not decided by which side of the brain the person is using. For any given task or work, both sides of your brain work together.

Myth: Your brain shuts down when you sleep

Fact: What happens to the brain during sleep is a very curious question posed by many people. Many people think that it shuts down as the body rests during sleep. The fact is that your brain remains busy and active when you sleep. It has to perform several different functions – such as controlling your breathing, sorting out your entire day’s information, locking the information into deep memory; keeping the things you learn into memory. This process is called consolidation.

Myth: You are born with fixed number of brain cells. They will decline if you don’t use

Fact: It is not true that a person is born with all the brain cells. An adult can grow approximately around 700 new brain cells per day. Over time, we lose brain cells, but we also grow them. Active lifestyle, healthy diet and exercising help in boosting the number of brain cells. If we engage in tasks that require engrossing brain works, it helps in augmenting connections between the neurons and conserving brain cells. Therefore, it is always better to exercise, engage in new activities, learn new skills and doing some brain activities to keep our brain healthy.

Myth: Childhood is the best age to learn new skills and information

Fact: You can learn better at any age say studies. There is no best age for learning new information. Human brain has the tendency to learn new things always. You may retain less information though as you age. Your memory declines with ageing. However, according to research, your brain can grow and change at any age.